RMAN backup retention policy - doubt

From: Subodh Deshpande <deshpande.subodh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 13:59:59 +0530

Hi all,

I want to know..in our environment we have backup retention policy set in terms of days and also we do not take more than one copy of backup..and I think this is what is generally followed.

I could not exlain to my friend and so I wanted to know

assumtion - all are complete backup not incremental..

  1. is there any relation between number of channels and backup policy based on number of copies, only I know that channels can be configured for different devices..

so lets say if I have three 3 sbt devices and configured 7 channels (3 for sbt backup, 3 maintenace backup and 1 for disk backup) and if suppose I want to change my existing backup policy from one set to three sets of backup..what I should do so that all these three sbt devices can be used simultaneiously and average backup time will be less

b) if suppose I want to alter my backup retention policy from number of days (5) to number of days (7) plus number of copies(from1 to 3) and above is the configuration..what changes I should do.

c) Following is sample environment setup

Recovery Manager: Release 9.2.0.8.0 - Production Copyright (c) 1995, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved. connected to target database: TESTIMCGS (DBID=1702101194) connected to recovery catalog database
RMAN> show all;
RMAN configuration parameters are:
CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO REDUNDANCY 1; # default CONFIGURE BACKUP OPTIMIZATION OFF; # default CONFIGURE DEFAULT DEVICE TYPE TO DISK; # default CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO '%F'; # default
CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK PARALLELISM 1; # default CONFIGURE DATAFILE BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default RMAN configuration has no stored or default parameters RMAN configuration has no stored or default parameters CONFIGURE MAXSETSIZE TO UNLIMITED; # default CONFIGURE SNAPSHOT CONTROLFILE NAME TO
'/usr/oracle/product/9.2/dbs/snapcf_TESTIMCGSSRN.f'; # default

Thanks!
Subodh

DO NOT FORGET TO SMILE TODAY