Re: DBA pay in university

From: Sandra Becker <sbecker6925_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 08:07:45 -0600

Ten years ago I left my DBA position at a public college after they decided I was overpaid and froze my salary for 8 years and reduced my benefits. My next DBA gig was a 20 percent increase in salary and my boss apologized for starting me at the low end of the scale for the company.

Overall, it was a relaxed atmosphere as long as you didn't cross one of the deans. On the other hand I was expected to work 6 days a week, 10 hour days so they wouldn't have to hire another DBA We had tuition completely paid for employees and their immediate family but since I had no children it wasn't as much of a benefit for me as it was other people. I also was expected to do more than just DBA work--operations, programming, SA, running cable and installing PCs, etc.

Check thoroughly what you would be expected to do for the money.

Sandy
Transzap, Inc.