Re: Single server vs multiple servers for multiple databases

From: Darren Darnell <darren_at_thedarnells.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 22:15:49 -0500

Initial thought, PeopleSoft apps? Where are the databases for demo, dev & qa going to run? You're going to need more servers when it comes time to upgrade. :)

If you've got 2 servers for production, use DataGuard between them for redundancy. This will allow for minimal downtime for planned/unplanned outages. Split your primary databases for each app between the 2 servers with the corresponding standby running on the opposite server.

If you've got 2 servers total. I'm not sure. It depends upon the workload. I'd still leverage DataGuard though. Either split as I mentioned above, with dev & qa with the standby database. Or, put all the prod databases on one server and use the other for dev, qa & standbys.

DD