RE: Upgrade session interrupted - nohup catupgrd.sql?

From: Michael Dinh <mdinh_at_XIFIN.Com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 10:35:38 -0700

Thanks.

I keep forgetting about that option. Going to change the script right now.

Michael Dinh

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY - This material is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable laws. BE FURTHER ADVISED THAT THIS EMAIL MAY CONTAIN PROTECTED HEALTH INFORMATION (PHI). BY ACCEPTING THIS MESSAGE, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THE FOREGOING, AND AGREE AS FOLLOWS: YOU AGREE TO NOT DISCLOSE TO ANY THIRD PARTY ANY PHI CONTAINED HEREIN, EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY PERMITTED AND ONLY TO THE EXTENT NECESSARY TO PERFORM YOUR OBLIGATIONS RELATING TO THE RECEIPT OF THIS MESSAGE. If the reader of this email (and attachments) is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender of the error and delete the e-mail you received. Thank you.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Michael Dinh Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2010 9:11 AM To: kadmon_at_gmail.com; Stefan Knecht
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

If you do shutdown abort, then follow theses steps:

alter system checkpoint;
alter system archivelog current;
shutdown abort;
startup restrict;
shutdown immediate;

I actually have this in a shutdown.sql for shutting down production.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of cam [kadmon_at_gmail.com] Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2010 6:09 AM To: Stefan Knecht
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

Thanks Stefan - later on the same page the Upgrade guide supports you:

"Rerunning the Upgrade
Follow these steps to rerun the upgrade:

  1. Shut down the database: SQL> SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE
  2. Restart the database in UPGRADE mode: SQL> STARTUP UPGRADE
  3. Rerun catupgrd.sql: SQL> _at_catupgrd.sql ..."

I thought my situation was more like a resource failure than a 'clean rerun' so I went with abort...

It sounds like you have run upgrades plenty of times - any opinion on using nohup? (this is an upgrade rehearsal - I'm expecting to repeat this in production before too long and I'd like to know if I have some insurance against another network failure...)

cam