RE: Upgrade session interrupted - nohup catupgrd.sql?

From: <paul.baumgartel_at_ubs.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 08:46:06 -0400

The Oracle Database Upgrade Guide 11g Release 2 clearly states that it's OK to run the upgrade script more than once ("You can rerun the catupgrd.sql script as many times as necessary").

Paul Baumgartel
UBS AG
IB Accounting Solutions
400 Atlantic Street
Stamford, CT 06904

203.719.4368

paul.baumgartel_at_ubs.com
www.ubs.com

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Howard Latham Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2010 8:38 AM To: kadmon_at_gmail.com
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Upgrade session interrupted - nohup catupgrd.sql?

Be very careful - A collegue once ran an Oracle upgrade script twice and

ended up with a bricked database.

On 21 October 2010 13:28, cam <kadmon_at_gmail.com> wrote:

        Hello all,

        This seems like an obvious and common one but I haven't managed to

        find any relevant Q&As here or on the OTN discussion boards.

        While remotely running catupgrd.sql to take an instance from 9.2.0.8

        to 11.1.0.7 my session was killed... When I got back on, I decided the

	situation was closest to the situation described under Resource
	exhaustion in the 11g Upgrade guide and went for:

- shutdown abort
- startup upgrade
- _at_catupgrd.sql
This seems to have just completed successfully but I'd be interested in any responses to the following:
- does this seem like the correct way to resume the upgrade - it
isn't explicitly documented anywhere.
- since its not interactive, I assume its OK to nohup catupgrd -
but people don't often seem to do it. Can anyone confirm that it works and doesn't get confused for some reason? cam -- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l
--
Howard A. Latham

Sent from my Nokia N97

Visit our website at http://www.ubs.com This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mails are not encrypted and cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version. This message is provided for informational purposes and should not be construed as a solicitation or offer to buy or sell any securities or related financial instruments. UBS reserves the right to retain all messages. Messages are protected and accessed only in legally justified cases. -- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l