RE: Network Installation of Client Binaries

From: Dunbar, Norman (Capgemini) <"Dunbar,>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 08:01:39 +0100

Morning Mark,

>> There's push back from some DBA's to
>> install the client binaries to a network drive with just the
>> registry entries and environment variables stored locally on
>> each desktop.

That's what the UK Environment Agency does. With a few very minor exceptions (The DBA team!) everyone has the client installed on a network drive. Only the registry is used to determine where the software can be found.

This way, we control sqlnet.ora as well.

The software is packaged up by our desktop team who use some Novell system (Zen I think) to do a dummy install somewhere that records all changes made to all drives, registry etc, and can then roll this out to everyone concerned.

No-one is allowed to install software by themselves on the desktop. Punishable by death. ;-)

HTH Cheers,
Norm.

Norman Dunbar
Contract Senior Oracle DBA
Capgemini Database Team (EA)
Internal : 7 28 2051
External : 0113 231 2051

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it. We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk