RE: too good to not pass along

From: Stephens, Chris <Chris.Stephens_at_adm.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 09:36:13 -0500

By the way, I'd forgotten this information could be found in v$sql_bind_capture.

It's amazing how much detail is captured by oracle these days!

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Stephens, Chris Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 8:43 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: too good to not pass along

I accidentally sent an email to a fellow database person at work with a name very similar to the user I was attempting to contact.

Original email erroneously sent to co-worker:

"I noticed that the following SQL is taking a very long time to complete recently:

SELECT x, x1, x2, x3 FROM xtable WHERE t_stamp >= :1 ORDER BY t_stamp

I'm not sure if that is a function of how much data this SQL is pulling back or if it has more to do with how the database is getting that data. If it is the latter, I can do something about it.

Do you recognize this SQL? Any idea what value is actually substituted for ':1'"

Co-worker:

"uh...was this meant for me?"

Me:

"sh!t, that's the second time this week I've sent an email to the wrong person"

Co-worker:

"no problem. By the way, using a >= in the where clause often skips the index and causes long run times."

In their defense, this person isn't a member of this list. :)

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by email reply.