Re: 10.2.0.5 Grid Control on RHEL 5

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 15:15:35 +0100

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 2:02 PM, Stephens, Chris <Chris.Stephens_at_adm.com>wrote:

> I understand waiting on going from 10G to 11G but aren’t all bug fixes
> cumulative in major versions?
>

> So, as long as you stay away from features introduced in 11.2.0.2 you are
> better off than you are with 11.1.0.7?

There at at least 3 problems with that idea:

  • Sometimes it depends on when code was branched (in this particular case you are likely fine)
  • It can be remarkably difficult to stay away from features introduced in newer versions - sometimes they appear by default (for example nosegment object creation or optimizer features) - sometimes they aren't easily determined (anyone have a list of all the changes in sqlplus in 11.2 for example?)
  • Sometimes new feature codepaths interfere with existing feature code paths in unexpected ways.

I'd still likely recommend 11.2.0.2 over 11.1.0.7, but mostly for future upgrade paths (there is one for the latter :) ) rather than for a set of bug fixes. In addition if on RAC I'd urge careful consideration of 11.2 just because of the scale of the Grid Infrastructure implementation details (some of which seem to still be developing in the new patchset).

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA