RE: RE: 11g RedHat 5 and Hugepages

From: Crisler, Jon <Jon.Crisler_at_usi.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 11:32:54 -0400

Possibly- there are issues with MTS and they want enough headroom so that they can run without MTS and possibly connection pooling tuned very conservatively on the app host side. On the current, undersized configuration, they have already seen 75,000 connections at peak periods.

From: Niall Litchfield [mailto:niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com] Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 11:24 AM To: Crisler, Jon
Cc: Oracle-L_at_freelists.org; ora_kclosson_at_yahoo.com Subject: Re: RE: 11g RedHat 5 and Hugepages

Sheesh. You normally can get between 10 and 50 connections per pooled connection - so you seem to be looking in the order of several million concurrent connections across the cluster?

        On 13 Oct 2010 16:13, "Crisler, Jon" <Jon.Crisler_at_usi.com> wrote:

        In my case, I am looking at a connection count of at least 5000, with an SGA of 70gb or higher, on each node of a 6 node cluster, with each node having 48 cpu's. We have run into issues with MTS and will be using dedicated connections on the DB side but the numerous app servers have connection pooling. The database size will be about 6 TB to start. Preliminary testing on a small system already showed a performance gain when using hugepages, but the test was on SUSE Linux while we are using RedHat 5, so its not a 100% accurate comparision.

        This 6 node cluster will replicate to an identical cluster with DataGuard.