RE: Zero Downtime Upgrade and Migration

From: Goulet, Richard <Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 10:10:47 -0400

Avadhani,

    What your client is asking for is completely impossible. For starters your direct upgrade part is 8.1.7 (or lower) -> 8.1.7.4 -> 9.2.0.8 -> 11.2 and your moving os platforms which means a transportable database migration. Way too many moving parts. What is the size of the source database? If it's small enough you can go the export/import route which at least minimizes the downtime. But your not going to get to 0 on this one.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Avadhani mys Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 5:45 AM To: ora-apps-dba; oracle-l; oaugnetdba-on_at_oaug.com Subject: Zero Downtime Upgrade and Migration

Hello Gurus,

Please let me know any suggestions other than Oracle-Golden-gate to achieve Zero downtime migration.the challenge is we need to Upgrade and Migrate Oracle 8i database [Upgrade to 11gR2 and migrate to Sun-Solaris from AIX]. This is very critical application and client needs Zero downtime.

Please let me know your valuable suggestions on this. And also please let me know your valuable inputs/links on the documents on using Oralce Golden gate to achieve Zero downtime upgrade and migration

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
Avadhani