RE: 11g RedHat 5 and Hugepages? anybody successful ?

From: Crisler, Jon <Jon.Crisler_at_usi.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 17:12:15 -0400

Don, I am way beyond that point. If you set memory_max_target = 0 then start the db, it generates ORA-00849 is thrown.

ORA-00849 SGA_TARGET value was more than MEMORY_MAX_TARGET value.

   If SGA_TARGET is unset , then I get ORA-27102: out of memory

                                        Linux-x86_64 Error: 28: No space
left on device

From: Don Seiler [mailto:don_at_seiler.us] Sent: Monday, October 11, 2010 3:50 PM
To: Crisler, Jon
Cc: s.cislaghi_at_gmail.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: 11g RedHat 5 and Hugepages? anybody successful ?

You'll likely need to set memory_target and memory_max_target = 0 with scope=spfile, then set sga_target (or the individual pools) accordingly with scope=spfile and then bounce.

Note 749851.1 makes it plain that Hugepages and Oracle 11g AMM do not mix.

Don.

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Crisler, Jon <Jon.Crisler_at_usi.com> wrote:

The problem is if you unset or set to zero memory_max_target, you get ORA-00849   From: Don Seiler [mailto:don_at_seiler.us] Sent: Monday, October 11, 2010 2:46 PM
To: s.cislaghi_at_gmail.com
Cc: Crisler, Jon; oracle-l_at_freelists.org

Subject: Re: 11g RedHat 5 and Hugepages? anybody successful ?

You can NOT use memory_target or memory_max_target with HugePages. That's a non-starter.

Don.

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Stefano Cislaghi <s.cislaghi_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

two possibile solution:

  1. Open SQLPlus and even with instance in idle execute:

create pfile='/tmp/pfilename' from spfile='+ASM/path/to/spfile';

Modify the pfile and then following the same procedure create a new spfile from memory

2. Create a standard pfile, startup nomount your instance and do the step 1

3. With asmcmd you may copy the spfile from ASM to disk, using strings command convert it in plain text and then use if as a pfile

BTW, I always avoid to have the spfile in ASM for this and many other similar reasons.

Ste
--

http://www.stefanocislaghi.eu

--