Re: Mutliplexing control/redo files

From: Michael Brown <dba_at_michael-brown.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 09:46:47 -0400

You should have multiple redo logfile group members to protect against certain (extremely rare) catastrophes as well. I had to help a client after their single file per redo group system was corrupts because the server went down exactly when writing to the logifle.

Since lgwr writes to the group members sequentially, having multiple group members should protect you from this issue. I say should because while I have used strace to confirm the sequential writes, I have not not done recovery testing in this circumstance.

On Oct 7, 2010, at 5:40 AM, Peter Hitchman wrote:

> Hi,
> If you have enough disks, you can create mutiple LUNs across different
> sets of them and then base the file systems on those LUNs. The LUNs
> could be sets of mirrored disks, concatenated disks or organized as
> RAID5 disk groups - if you have enough physical disks. After that I
> think it just comes down to your own preferences and the fact that
> using more than on sub-directory can stop you accidently wiping out
> all of your control files etc by mistake.
>
> Regards
> Pete

Michael Brown
dba_at_michael-brown.org