RE: Oracle 11g, ASM & ILM

From: Don Granaman <DonGranaman_at_solutionary.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 16:50:29 -0500

"Never mind" (unless you know something more useful).

It seems that this is essentially new marketing hype wrapped around previously existing (old) functionality - at least from the database level.

The only thing new in this seems to be the "ILM Assistant" - which can generate scripts and remind you to run them.

[I made the mistake of talking to an Oracle marketing rep - in another context - and he mentioned it. To him, this is a major technology advance in 11g.]

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Don Granaman Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 2:27 PM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Oracle 11g, ASM & ILM

I've just started looking at the possibilities for hierarchical storage management in Oracle 11.2 (RAC) with ASM. Chapter 5 of the Oracle Database VLDB and Partitioning Guide seems to be the only useful technical discussion of it I can find. That chapter talks about it, but rather vaguely. For example:

REM These tablespaces would be placed on a Low Cost Tier

CREATE SMALLFILE TABLESPACE "2006_ORDERS" DATAFILE '2006_orders'

SIZE 5M AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT 10M MAXSIZE UNLIMITED LOGGING EXTENT MANAGEMENT LOCAL SEGMENT SPACE MANAGEMENT AUTO ; So... how is this assigned to a low cost tier - in ASM?

There seems to be no indication of how this datafile is created on the "Low Cost Tier". The most obvious would seem to be to create distinct ASM diskgroups for the distinct storage tiers and then (manually) create tablespaces/datafiles in appropriate diskgroups. I was expecting to find something in the ASM guide (or elsewhere) that elaborates on this, but didn't.

Does anyone know of a better reference, whitepaper, etc.?

Thanks!
Don Granaman