RE: Remote DBA

From: Aragon, Gabriel (GE, Corporate, consultant) <"Aragon,>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 10:18:40 -0400

I've been working as a remote dba for almost all my professional experience, also I have contact with many dba's from several countries, India, Spain, Mexico, etc.. I think your questions has many things involved, first of all, are you planning to hire independent dba's or otusourcing companies which give dba services? no matter if we are talking about a COE service or individual dba services. Also pls keep in mind that when you have some dba's working remotely, they may be at the same office (same projects, different projects same customer, different customers) and have the oportunity to work as a team helping each other to solve issues. At this moment Im working with dba's in several countries and also in several cities in those countries, and sometimes working part of time from home, that is, coming to office until noon and then finishing day from home, also working on oncall schedules where barely coming to office, that is afterhours or weekends, very important is that they can be reachable as needed, that is all of them having mobile phones in their countries, off course depending on service level agreements. Many companies are moving to this approach, I think due to price.

Now, besides the location of your team, you need to be sure to make a very good interview to candidates, or having in every location a "lone ranger" mentoring several "ticket closers" which can grow to the next level, that is a good approach that makes high performance teams. Also Im sure you know that sometimes a very good interview may give you a very good technical guy but it doesnt mean the candidate will be a problem solver or a "communicator" or a leader per se.

In summary, you need to look for a good outsoursing company or independent candidates with trustable recommendations to start making your team, anyway you will need a couple of tries before getting the correct people, and even when getting the correct people you will also have to deal with people leaving companies very oftenly.

HTH
Gabriel

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Guillermo Alan Bort Sent: Domingo, 26 de Septiembre de 2010 04:27 p.m. To: oracle-l-freelists
Subject: Remote DBA

Hi List,

    I've been reading a lot about remote DBA services, these appear to be companies based on different locations that provide customers with DBA services while having all the DBAs physically in one location (or a limited number of locations). These services are usually hired by companies whose primary focus isn't IT.

    My question now is...would this work in reverse? Having several DBAs working out of their own homes in whatever city or country they want for a single company (or for one of the remote DBA services)? I understand the complexities of having people without Green Cards or working VISAS working for US based companies, even if they are now physically in the US.

    This one may be for recruiters or decision makers: Would you hire somebody you've never met (or met only by phone) who lives in another country (worst case) and whose experience you can't verify if they asked for half of what an on-site DBA would?

Thanks in advance
Alan.-