Re: DB recovery question

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jwilton_at_bluegecko.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 21:52:20 -0700

On Sep 26, 2010, at 7:52 PM, Steve Baldwin wrote:

> I'm trying to restore the database to a point in time after the
> level 0 backup started but before it completed.

Steve,

I think that's going to be a problem. If you don't recover to a point in time after the backup completed, some of the data is going to be inconsistent. If any data changed in the not-yet-backed-up datafiles after your target PIT but before the backup completed, those changed blocks will be from a time ahead of your target PIT.

You can open the database inconsistent using _allow_resetlogs_corruption, but that's only for in a pinch. With that option, the data may be internally inconsistent, and you can also get ORA-00600 and ORA-07445 errors in the opened database. Also the resulting database is unsupportable.

There are plenty of notes on using this parameter out in the public domain.

Regards,

Jeremiah Wilton
Blue Gecko, Inc.
http://www.bluegecko.net