Re: Hot backup question

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 20:00:04 -0700 (PDT)

  • On Sat, 9/25/10, Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com> wrote: ...
    > example to explain split blocks. I think there's still a
    > danger unless DBWn and OS tool can write and read,
    > respectively, to the same block at the same moment. But it's

Correction. "unless" should be "if" or "as long as".

By the way, these two pages
http://www.ixora.com.au/tips/block_size.htm http://www.antapex.org/undocumented_init.txt talk about the possibility of turning off _log_blocks_during_backup during backup. If anybody really wants to do it (possibly invalidating support), I would add that after backup, run dbv on the backed-up file to see if you get any influx block. It would be nice to run dbv on a file that is being created (if it could accept input from a pipe). But with all that hassle, it would be easier to use RMAN instead of simulating it.

Yong Huang