Re: Oracle DataGuard and ORA-16099

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 08:36:41 +0100

Hi Gus,

How did you do the incremental? From scn? If so I'd likely be giving up on this standby (esp if there's pressure to do something now!) The 0600 is on the standby by the looks of it, so you *could* raise an SR and see if you get anywhere there however you ought to consider how long the process to investigate resolve and fix will take compared to the rebuild.

On 22 Sep 2010 02:57, "Gus Spier" <gus.spier_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Solaris 10
Oracle 10.2.0

I've inherited the STANDBY database portion of a DataGuard lash-up and only now have the resources to take a look at it. The previous custodian appeared to have better things to do.

DataGuard is not one of my strong points. I'm clever enough to read (or at least, start to read) the documentation before mission urgency demands that I "do something". I check the alert log and attempt to foIlow what the database thinks it's doing. It appears the STANDBY db is applying archived redo logs, but runs into a gap. We have taken an incremental backup from the PRIMARY and recovered it on the STANDBY; copied control files from PRIMARY to STANDBY; STARTUP MOUNT; and altered the db to recover managed standby database disconnect from session but it seems to run into the same obstacle. After metalink (MOS) and google fail to point towards a solution, I need help.

From the alert log:

<TIMESTAMP>

Errors in file <background dump dest>/<SID>_mrp0_%d.trc ORA-16099: internal error ORA-00600 occurred in standby database.

<REPEATS>

From the trace file:
FAL[client,MRP0]: Error 16099 fetching archived redo log from <Primary DB SID>
subsequent lines referenced "kccr", which I assume refers to an oracle function that deals with control files ...

The trace file also seems to be making a recommendation to increase ?CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP? value. But it doesn't say where, either on the STANDBY database or the PRIMARY.

I am not at work at the moment and am trying to fill in more details from my admittedly imprecise memory.

Can anyone drop a clue for where to start looking next?

Thanks in advance.

Gus