instance_groups=<instance name>

From: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 09:25:05 -0500

I recently inherited some Peoplesoft databases, and I noted this setting for instance_groups:

instance_groups=<instance_name>,

These are 10gR2 on windows that we are preparing to migrate to 11gr2 on Linux. According to the documentation, this value was suggested by Oracle Support to prevent parallel query from running on other instances. Can we accomplish the same things just by setting the instances value to 1 at the table level?

Also, wouldn't the 11g parameter parallel_force_local accomplish the same purpose?

--
Andrew W. Kerber