Re: DB time Less Than Elapsed Time - is there a performance problem? or is the report interval incorrect?

From: David Roberts <big.dave.roberts_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 12:37:23 +0100

I'll admit I'm more of a DBA 0.9 type person, but my approach would be to always start at the OS level before looking inside Oracle.

So I'd run sar 10 10 and sar -q 10 10 (ten samples at 10 second intervals) and then I'd also look at the historical sar and sar -q data over the previous few hours.

While this may just re-in-force your initial understanding that the CPU isn't busy, it might show a significant variation historically in terms of the demand on the CPU.

It might also indicate high I/O, but at least it should give a very high level idea as to where in the system there may be a bottleneck.

I'm not personally familiar (in terms of hands on) with RAC, but the nodes seem to be performing somewhat different levels/types of workload. I would be interested if this was by design, ie. certain types of users are pointed at different nodes, or if this pattern was just a blip, and the workload on each node was usually similar.

Dave