Re: Anyone using Ruby for scripting?

From: David Mann <dmann99_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 10:28:47 -0400

Cary Millsap wrote
>In my completely biased opinion: Perl.
>- Its' everywhere.

This is a big reason why Perl wins in my environment. I have 400 databases spread on dozens of *nix-like servers. For 10g and 11g instances I can count on the Perl that is installed with Oracle (it already has DBI and DBD::Oracle) to get 95% of what I need. Its not the most up to date, but it works and is already there so the most complex part of the scripting environment is checking paths and making the shebang line at the top of the Perl scripts reference the binaries I am using.

I do miss out on being able to leverage CPAN - I wouldn't recommend trying graft any CPAN modules on the Perl that comes with Oracle, just seems too risky and I am in healthcare - sysadmins would have a cow if I started asking for more permissions than I have now so I can compile things :)

-Dave

--
Dave Mann
www.brainio.us