Re: Options to move a large table

From: David Roberts <big.dave.roberts_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 13:58:19 +0100

While I don't have access to a system that I can currently test on, I believe that as long as there are no updates on the data in the table (only selects and inserts), something like the following should work:

rename current_table to old_table;

create new_table with same structure as old_table;

create view current_table as select from old_table union all select from new_table;

You will also need to create an instead of trigger that will convert inserts on the new view into inserts on the new_table.

Obviously this will have impact on some of the performance characteristics of the table, however, the movement of the old records to the new table could be performed at your leisure.

Dave