Re: Advise on re-creating ASM diskgroup

From: Yadavalli Aditya <aditya.yadavalli_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 09:01:56 +0530

I think RMAN is the best option for doing this.

For moving control files you can use 'restore controlfile to' command, note 468458.1.
For moving redo logs, you can create new redolog groups in new DG and drop the old ones after making sure old ones are not in use. For archives you can use 'backup as copy' command. There is a method mentioned at
"http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10734/rcmasm.htm#1018859" to move the whole FRA to new DG. (This is for 10g, this might work for 11.1 as well)

These are only hints, Pl validate and identify the right sequence of steps for your environment.

Incidentally RMAN cp command is working very wieldly, as per http://www.pythian.com/news/910/oracle-asm-11g-does-the-asmcmd-cp-command-really-work/ (You might have already checked on this, just FYI though!)

HTH. Cheers/Aditya