Re: Why use Pro*C for spooling result sets to flat files when you can do the same thing in SQL*Plus?

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 15:35:54 -0700

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 3:23 PM, Bill Myers <bwmyers_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> So, is there any real advantage to using Pro*C over SQL*Plus to spool
> result sets to flat files? I certainly don't want to become a Pro*C expert,
> so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Other than speed, I don't see what the advantage would be, unless of course some kind of limitation were found.

I must say, the DBA you spoke to sounds like someone everyone would love to work with.

Any attempt to fathom his reasoning is just useless speculation IMO.

Jared Still
Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist Oracle Blog: http://jkstill.blogspot.com Home Page: http://jaredstill.com