Re: Any valid security concerns using Data Pump over conventional exp/imp?

From: John Piwowar <jpiwowar_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 12:36:45 -0700

Not to belittle the concerns of your co-workers, but given the degree of control one has over directory objects (where they are, who can access them, etc), I would be far more worried about the security of the data going over the wire to a client machine in a "classic" export situation than I would be about the security of directory objects. You can control what's happening on the server side far more effectively than you can track the client-side dump files.

You don't mention which database version you're using, but there can be a concern about privileged execution from within 10g directory objects; the addition of the execute privilege in 11g mitigates this concern somewhat.  Careful management/documentation of privileges and their justifications is always important, of course. :-)

Regards,

John P.