RE: Tool recommendation

From: Kellyn Pedersen <kjped1313_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 14:35:44 -0700 (PDT)

I second Christoph-  I use this same version of PL/SQL Developer and have adopted it as my favorite.  It can be configured to leave a much lighter footprint on the data dictionary than some of the heavier featured tools, too, especially if you have numerous developers and DBA's all utilizing a GUI to work all day...

Less raved about, especially with Grid Control's OEM, is the stand alone OEM from Oracle that came with 10g.  I've got a few developers and DBA's that have this as a second GUI window into the database-  especially when I have someone come to me, frustrated that no one has installed an agent on a brand new development database, I can steer them towards this to give me some breathing space.  Just install it as part of the 10g client install and it will give them a quick window into sessions, long ops, configurations and a light weight tool.  Nicest part is that it's Java, so if you have a problem, just kill it from your task manager, it could care less!

Kellyn Pedersen
Sr. Database Administrator
I-Behavior Inc.
http://www.linkedin.com/in/kellynpedersen www.dbakevlar.blogspot.com

"Go away before I replace you with a very small and efficient shell script..."

From: Christoph <cruepprich_at_gmail.com> Subject: RE: Tool recommendation
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Date: Wednesday, August 18, 2010, 8:35 AM

My favorite is PL/SQL Developer by Allround Automations. It is light weight, intuitive and low priced. It has a query builder, which is good for less savvy users. You can easily copy query results to Excel. It even has charting capabilities.

Christoph
http://ruepprich.wordpress.com/

--
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
- Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes