RE: Tool recommendation

From: Kellyn Pedersen <>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 14:35:44 -0700 (PDT)

I second Christoph-  I use this same version of PL/SQL Developer and have adopted it as my favorite.  It can be configured to leave a much lighter footprint on the data dictionary than some of the heavier featured tools, too, especially if you have numerous developers and DBA's all utilizing a GUI to work all day...

Less raved about, especially with Grid Control's OEM, is the stand alone OEM from Oracle that came with 10g.  I've got a few developers and DBA's that have this as a second GUI window into the database-  especially when I have someone come to me, frustrated that no one has installed an agent on a brand new development database, I can steer them towards this to give me some breathing space.  Just install it as part of the 10g client install and it will give them a quick window into sessions, long ops, configurations and a light weight tool.  Nicest part is that it's Java, so if you have a problem, just kill it from your task manager, it could care less!

Kellyn Pedersen
Sr. Database Administrator
I-Behavior Inc.

"Go away before I replace you with a very small and efficient shell script..."

From: Christoph <> Subject: RE: Tool recommendation
Date: Wednesday, August 18, 2010, 8:35 AM

My favorite is PL/SQL Developer by Allround Automations. It is light weight, intuitive and low priced. It has a query builder, which is good for less savvy users. You can easily copy query results to Excel. It even has charting capabilities.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
- Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes