RE: Oracle Enterprise Manager and the 4K block size

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 09:33:45 -0500 (CDT)

Norm!

> So, summing up, is it (EM/GC) *really* fit for purpose yet?

As everything in DBA World, it depends. I do like GC (10.2.0.3) for the ability to easily browse through its AWR-like repository to show me what happened in the DB days, weeks, or months (if one manages to find how to configure GC to extend the repository from its default values) ago. And, more importantly, *who* was running that particular statement that caused whatever issue. I just used this to see that we've been having significant library cache latch issues on Saturdays going back to at least April.

The downside is of course that GC never notified me of those latch contentions in the first place. See one of my rants at http://www.freelists.org/post/oracle-l/Extent-allocation-time-process-check,4   As an aside, those notifications do seem to require the Diagnostics Pack...

Sure, I could code something similar to the repository browsing, but I have other fun functionality to rewrite/workaround. :)

Enjoy!

Rich