RE: Tools for remote DBA work

From: Michael Schmitt <mschmitt_at_uchicago.edu>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 09:29:52 -0500

Thanks for all the responses so far.

I will still be working a permanent position, so I will not have to deal with multiple VPN clients. I will likely be able to have a local desktop if I want, or even have a virtual desktop created on site. I think running multiple Virtual machines could still be useful, do you find VMWare workstation a good way to go with that?

I think the technical support should be fairly easy as long as I get all the access I need. Team collaboration is the part I am more worried about. Would anyone have a recommendation for any of the web conferencing tools such as webex, or even some of the video conferencing solutions?

Thanks.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Martin Bach [development_at_the-playground.de] Sent: Saturday, July 24, 2010 12:57 AM
To: Andrew Kerber; orclwzrd_at_yahoo.com Cc: don_at_seiler.us; howard.latham_at_gmail.com; Michael Schmitt; oracle-l-freelists Subject: Re: Tools for remote DBA work

I use different virtual machines depending on vpn client. Cisco's vpn client for example doesn't like VMWare virtual network cards and requires many attempts before connecting.

For those who prefer GUI over sql plus I suggest port forwarding for the listener.

Team collaboration is a bigger problem, it requires good will from all participants. Regular team meetings, ideally with video, are essential (imo). It is very easy to misunderstand email and instant messages, making it difficult to develop a "we" feeling. In thus respect, technology doesn't beet face to face encounters.

But that's just me, with how I experienced it. Your mileage may vary.

Regards,

Martin Bach

Oracle Certified Master 10g
http://martincarstenbach.wordpress.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/martincarstenbach

  • Reply message ----- From: "Andrew Kerber" <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com> Date: Fri, Jul 23, 2010 22:33 Subject: Tools for remote DBA work To: <orclwzrd_at_yahoo.com> Cc: <don_at_seiler.us>, <howard.latham_at_gmail.com>, <mschmitt_at_uchicago.edu>, "oracle-l-freelists" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>

I second the virtual machine solution. Some VPN software is very particular about its environment, at one point I was using one that had to be reinstalled every time windows update the OS. It lived in its own VM.

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 4:18 PM, John D Parker <orclwzrd_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> A VM machine that your vpn is loaded on keeps your local machine free and
> out of that special vpn black hole. Outside of that, ssh to host, run local
> sqlplus. keep your fav scripts on an ftp/www site that you can easily access
> to pull them over.
>
> John

Andrew W. Kerber