Oracle In-Memory Database Cache and PL/SQL

From: Matt McClernon <mccmx_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 05:47:20 +0000

I’m in the process of doing a proof of concept with IMDB to cache a subset of our application data to improve the performance of our application.

I’ve hit a problem which I think makes the product unsuitable in our current environment and I was wondering if I’m missing something in the research I’ve done.

Does IMDB allow the caching (and execution) of stored pl/sql packages and types which are stored in the main Oracle database..?

Based on the research I’ve done it only appears as though IMDB can cache table data.  I have seen evidence of the ability to create pl/sql stored units independently in IMDB but no mention of caching and executing existing pl/sql units that live in the RDBMS.

If IMDB is restricted to table data then our application would effectively have to go to the RDBMS to execute the pl/sql code and then back to the IMDB layer to read the ‘cached’ table data which seems to be counter-productive.

Is this the case or am I missing something..?

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/