RE: OCR / VD external vs. normal redundancy using NFS.

From: D'Hooge Freek <Freek.DHooge_at_uptime.be>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 01:11:10 +0200

David,

See following oracle documentation part: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e10812/storage.htm#sthref536

When using normal redundancy, Oracle will create 3 voting disks and 1 ocr device, which will be mirrored. When using high redundancy, Oracle will create 5 voting disks and 1 ocr device, which will be mirrored 2 times.

The output below comes from a setup where I have a separate normal redundancy diskgroup to hold my cluster files. I needed 3 different luns in this diskgroup before I could create it.

Also note that you can't see the voting disks as "files" within the diskgroup. My guess is that Oracle uses a header within each asm disk to store the voting disk.

[grid_at_arsvorats1 ~]$ crsctl query css votedisk

##  STATE    File Universal Id                File Name Disk group
--  -----    -----------------                --------- ---------
 1. ONLINE   7855e73b3d2a4fb3bf901beecad62093 (/dev/oracle/asm_clfilests1p1) [DG_CLUSTER]
 2. ONLINE 213259f135934f27bf86b91559a44df5 (/dev/oracle/asm_clfilests2p1) [DG_CLUSTER]  3. ONLINE 1b12d9dc6d2b4fb8bfe63b365e2db555 (/dev/oracle/asm_clfilests3p1) [DG_CLUSTER] Located 3 voting disk(s).

[grid_at_arsvorats1 ~]$ ocrcheck
Status of Oracle Cluster Registry is as follows :

         Version                  :          3
         Total space (kbytes)     :     262120
         Used space (kbytes)      :       2800
         Available space (kbytes) :     259320
         ID                       : 1074808153
         Device/File Name         : +DG_CLUSTER
                                    Device/File integrity check succeeded

                                    Device/File not configured

                                    Device/File not configured

                                    Device/File not configured

                                    Device/File not configured

         Cluster registry integrity check succeeded

         Logical corruption check bypassed due to non-privileged user

[grid_at_arsvorats1 ~]$ export ORACLE_SID=+ASM1 [grid_at_arsvorats1 ~]$ asmcmd
ASMCMD> ls

DG_CLUSTER/
DG_DWHTS_DATA/
DG_FRA/

ASMCMD> cd DG_CLUSTER
ASMCMD> ls
arclorats/
ASMCMD> cd arclorats
ASMCMD> ls
ASMPARAMETERFILE/
OCRFILE/
ASMCMD> cd OCRFILE
ASMCMD> ls -l
Type Redund Striped Time Sys Name OCRFILE MIRROR COARSE JUL 10 00:00:00 Y REGISTRY.255.721844181
SQL> set linesize 120
SQL> column full_alias_path format a70
SQL> column file_type format a15
SQL> select concat('+'||gname, sys_connect_by_path(aname, '/')) full_alias_path,
  2         system_created, alias_directory, file_type
  3  from ( select b.name gname, a.parent_index pindex, a.name aname,
  4                a.reference_index rindex , a.system_created, a.alias_directory,
  5                c.type file_type
  6         from v$asm_alias a, v$asm_diskgroup b, v$asm_file c
  7         where a.group_number = b.group_number
  8               and a.group_number = c.group_number(+)
  9               and a.file_number = c.file_number(+)
 10               and a.file_incarnation = c.incarnation(+)
 11       )
 12  where alias_directory = 'N'
 13        and system_created = 'Y'
 14        and file_type like 'OCR%'
 15  start with (mod(pindex, power(2, 24))) = 0
 16              and rindex in
 17                  ( select a.reference_index
 18                    from v$asm_alias a, v$asm_diskgroup b
 19                    where a.group_number = b.group_number
 20                          and (mod(a.parent_index, power(2, 24))) = 0
 21                  )

 22 connect by prior rindex = pindex;
FULL_ALIAS_PATH                                                        S A FILE_TYPE
+DG_CLUSTER/arclorats/OCRFILE/REGISTRY.255.721844181                   Y N OCRFILE

Freek D'Hooge
Uptime
Oracle Database Administrator
email: freek.dhooge_at_uptime.be