Re: index rebuild - locking

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 06:57:06 +0100

If you can use the online keyword then DML can happen concurrently, if not, then not. You don't give a reason for your desire to spend resources doing a rebuild, for a table with few writes my presumption would be that a rebuild wouldn't help with any problem you might have (you don't describe one) on the other hand since I prefer to do maintenance out of hours or during low activity then it might do your overtime hours some good. There's a rather important football match Sunday - that might make a good time.

Niall Litchfield

On Jul 9, 2010 3:51 AM, "dd yakkali" <dd.yakkali_at_gmail.com> wrote:

i have a big table ( 10 GB ) which has an index on a number field. Index is almost same size as the table and I want to rebuild the index the database is very active and the table is also very active read about 100K times in 20 minutes and few writes as well. I want to know during the index rebuild process, does oracle allow writing to the table ( insert into that table) ?

Please let me know, i am kind of lazy to do test.

Thanks
Deen