RMAN resync & Active Data Guard

From: Walker, Jed S <Jed_Walker_at_cable.comcast.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 11:14:22 -0600

I have an 11g Data Guard setup. I backup via RMAN as follows:
  • Primary : archivelogs once per day and resync every 30 minutes
  • Standby: full+archivelogs once per day and resync every 30 minutes

We do the resyncs to ensure that archived log files are recorded in the catalog regularly. This was all working just fine until recently when I switched the Physical Standby to Active Data Guard mode and started getting the following:

RMAN-03009: failure of resync command on default channel at 07/05/2010 20:02:09

RMAN-20034: resync not needed

I'm not sure why being in "Active" mode would cause this to error but not in regular mode (and not sure why it is an error and not just an ignorable warning). I got to thinking about it and realized that if I resync on the Primary there is probably no need to resync on the Standby so turned that off to avoid the error.

So, my question is, does anyone have some best practices on how to backup in this situation with Active Data Guard? I'm thinking Arch+resync on Primary and then full+arch on Standby should be good.

Thanks,

Jed