Re: Monitoring software

From: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 11:36:26 -0500

I once ran into a problem where the 'developers' simply didn't know how to tune their SQL. They were all java programmers, and were just using the very poor SQL generated from their Java code generator. I couldn't help them much with that, but I could sure find the crappy SQL code. My suggestion was to get developers with some intelligence, but that didn't fly, they were cheap, and worth what they were paid.

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>wrote:

> "What do you people do ... ? "
>
> Feel very frustrated.
>
> Note that if you provide weekly reports to the VP , after a few weeks he
> might just stop reading them. He wouldn't have the time or want to go
> through SQLs and Trace/Tkprof and Statistics. He might or might not expect
> the developers to work with you on this. Furthermore, unless the *users*
> raise an issue (log a problem ticket), "Performance" in an operating
> (production) environment may not get priority.
> So you might want to talk to users occassionally and find out where it is
> that they find issues. Focus on the user's performance issues.
>
> Hemant K Chitale
>

> At 12:18 AM Saturday, Sandra Becker wrote:
>
> So what do you people do when you've provided either the information
>> and/or tool for developers to see the performance of their code and they
>> refuse to look at it and insist it is up to the DBAs to tune it and make it
>> efficient? I also provide performance information to my VP on a weekly
>> basis and all other high level execs on a quarterly basis but no one except
>> my VP seems to take it seriously. That's the boat I'm in right now and it
>> seems to have a really big hole that is leaking more day by day.
>>

>> --
>> Sandy
>> Transzap, Inc.
>>

> Hemant K Chitale