Re: Job scheduling in 11g

From: Kellyn Pedersen <>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 15:35:39 -0700 (PDT)

I use a stored proc to schedule a job to allow users to execute a shell script this way...yeah, it's a hack and no, don't ask... :)
I will say, as long as you write in a LOT of error handling/notifictions and a "lock" file to return a success to the procedure when the shell script has exeucted successfully vs. the job has issued successfully, it works quite well...

Kellyn Pedersen
Sr. Database Administrator
I-Behavior Inc.
"Go away before I replace you with a very small and efficient shell script..."

From: Martin Klier <>
Subject: Re: Job scheduling in 11g
Cc:,, "Yechiel Adar" <>, "Martin Bach" <>, "" <> Date: Wednesday, June 30, 2010, 8:14 AM

There's a way to do OS level stuff as well. It's a hack, but it "does the job".

Martin Klier

Goulet, Richard schrieb:
> Robert,

>     I've used the scheduler to schedule jobs in the past and on Unix

> based platforms I ran into a problem because OS level scripts always
> tried to run as NOBODY.  Now I did manage to work around that quirk, but
> I doubt my work around was the most intelligent.  Any workarounds that
> Oracle recommends???  And No I haven't taken the time to research MOS.
> It's just not on the priority list at the moment.
Usn's IT Blog for Linux, Oracle, Asterisk