Re: salary idea

From: Ethan Post <post.ethan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 11:12:08 -0500

Salaries are just a price for goods and like every price they rise and fall with supply and demand. My guess is the supply of experienced applicants is increasing in this economy (HP and IBM seem to layoff endlessly) so I would be careful with demanding too much. There may be other applicants which have the same level of experience as you and are willing to work for less. Keep in mind that many times these laundry lists of requirements are pie in the sky wish lists and employers often settle for someone that are a less than perfect match. I have seen applicants come back with sky high "consulting" salary requirements and they don't often get hired unless the particular project is in a real bind. NY state taxes are up there, so take that into consideration and they are likely to rise in coming years as that state is one with the serious financial issues.