RE: salary idea

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_proquest.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 11:50:45 -0400

Rule #1 of salary negotiation, when asked, *never* quote a number! :)

Don't tell them what you currently make, don't tell them what you're looking for.

"Hmm....I'm confident you'll offer a fair salary."

Yes, I know, it's nearly impossible to do this, in practice, but, the goal is to never put out a number. Let them make an offer, then, when they do, make sure you have your best poker face on, and tell them you'll consider it.

Also, don't forget, this is a good opportunity to negotiate for vacation time. If you have enough seniority at your current company to get, for example, 4 weeks of vacation, and they start new employees with 1 week, don't be afraid to negotiate for additional vacation time.

-Mark

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Zelli, Brian Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 9:49 AM
To: oracle-l-freelists
Subject: salary idea

Hello listers........a fortune 100 company recently interviewed me. Below is a job description. They asked what my salary requirements were. I need some help here. What do you think this job is worth? I have my own idea but I just don't want to sell myself short.

We are getting ready to start a search for a Senior level Oracle DBA with rather specific experience requirements. Our Global Oracle /JDE ERP systems are being consolidated into our data center and we are moving from SQL Server to Oracle 11g. We will be deploying the new Exadata server (Sun/Oracle) and utilizing ASM, RAC, Data Guard and GoldenGate software running OEL. Any candidate will have to have experience in ASM, RAC, Data Guard and Linux to be considered. The DBA, along with another member of my staff, would be responsible for the deployment of the new Exadata server, getting our group up to speed on ASM, RAC and DataGuard plus developing SOP's/guidelines for this new platform. This will be a huge project for the DBA and the company. I

Job Location: Western New York

Primary Responsibilities:
* Primary support for an in progress implementation of Oracle for JDE on an Exadata platform.

  • Implement and support a DR solution using Oracle Data Guard.
  • Provide technical mentoring to other Oracle DBAs.
  • Perform application performance tuning related to the DBMS system.
  • Database design and physical implementation.
  • DBMS system monitoring and tuning.
  • Problem determination and resolution.
  • Intense project team participation .
  • Ensuring architectural standards adherence.
  • Develop technical documentation for support of Oracle Exadata solution.
  • Primary support for global replication using Oracle's GoldenGate software.

Required Qualifications:
* Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or an analytical discipline or equivalent experience

  • Must have minimum of 7 years experience managing and administering Oracle 9i and 10g on large scale (over 1 TB) mission critical databases
  • Experience managing large Oracle databases in a high transaction volume environment
  • Must have a thorough understanding and 7+ years experience supporting Oracle database related technology to include RAC, Data Guard, Automated Storage Space Management and Automatic Database Diagnostic Monitoring
  • Must have a thorough understanding of Oracle running on a Oracle Enterprise Linux operating system
  • Strong Oracle system and SQL performance tuning skills
  • Must be flexible and able to handle stressful situations in a professional manner and must demonstrate ability to work under minimal supervision.
  • Experience using Oracle RMAN to perform database backups.

Preferred Qualifications:
* Experience managing and administering Oracle 11g on large scale (over 1 TB) mission critical databases required

  • GoldenGate experience a plus.
  • Exadata experience a plus
  • SQL Server 2005,2008 strongly desired
  • JDE experience a plus

Brian

This email message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of this email message is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete this email message from your computer. Thank you.