RE: Many locks on the same table

From: Goulet, Richard <Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 07:19:49 -0400

Alex,

    Along with the others it's kind of hard to say much with knowing more about what is going on. Locks are a normal part of database operation and are to be expected. Additionally you mention that the table has millions of rows with lots of people accessing it. Are any of the locks blocking other sessions? If not then they are not a problem. Are the locks held for extended periods of time thereby creating a blocking situation, if not then they are not a problem. I do not understand some people's apprehension of database locks. So long as they do not prevent database operations and make for unhappy clients then they should be ignored.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
PAREXEL International

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Alex Octan Sent: Monday, June 14, 2010 10:44 PM
To: Oracle I List
Subject: Many locks on the same table

Hi folks,

I have a system that one table has million of rows and many sessions doing operations, and because of this many locks are happening. So I was thinking what kind of initiative I can take on this. Perhaps partitioning, or indexes, or does anybody have other actions that I can take a look??

Thanks in advance for the help.
Alex