RMAN Duplicate from active database working behavior

From: Stefano Cislaghi <s.cislaghi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 00:09:11 +0200

Hi all,

today I was trying to clone my 11gR2 DB from site A to site B (these are gigabit network connected with a firewall). I was running rman command on site B, connecting using sqlnet to target database and so with local auxiliary database.

Clone starts, picking first datafile with 20gb size. RMAN is not reporting any error, seems to copy datafile but on site B ASM no datafile is appearing.

On site A from v$session_longops I'm able to see RMAN operation and monitoring ToDo time.
When ToDo time has finished RMAN is no going on...seems to be stuck on file transfer but on auxiliary ASM there's no datafile.

About 10 minutes after v$session_longops has finished work on this datafile the alert log of target database reports a connection timeout similar to this:

TNS-12535: TNS:operation timed out

    ns secondary err code: 12560
    nt main err code: 505

TNS-00505: Operation timed out

    nt secondary err code: 60
    nt OS err code: 0
  Client address:
(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=auxiliary_database_host_site_B)(PORT=1521))

now I'm at home and I'm thinking about this problem... why is so slow the duplication and why is failing?

Firewall closes inactive connections during more than 30mins but should not be an inactive connection as I can think that RMAN picks every single file and transfer to auxiliary DB. Has no time to wait and cause timeout.

Anyone have some hints or note about this RMAN scenario?

Thanks
Ste

--
http://www.stefanocislaghi.eu