Re: When to run batch in parallel?

From: Daniel Fink <daniel.fink_at_optimaldba.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 16:29:54 -0600

I would start with reading Doug Burns' papers on Parallelism (http://oracledoug.com/serendipity/index.php?/archives/835-PX-and-the-Magic-of-2.html)

Just because you are waiting on I/O does not necessarily mean that the I/O subsystem is the bottleneck. What is the average duration and duration spread for the reads? If the duration is small and the SAN is not maxing out it's throughput, then it may have unused capacity that can be used for parallel processing.

Are the underlying tables and data parallel 'friendly'? If you are running in parallel, but each process is wanting to read the same data, you can induce contention waits (read by other session). If each parallel process is accessing different data/index blocks, you can reduce the likelihood of contention. Better still if the underlying objects are partitions and the parallel processes read different partitions.

This sounds like a great opportunity to benchmark and test the changes. Test, trace, profile, report.