Re: Cross-platform (different endianness) Migration Experiences

From: Paul G Parker <parkerpg_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 21:58:24 -0400

Hi

I've just (this past weekend) migrated a 1.8TB database from AIX (big) to Linux (little) from 10.2.0.2 (32-bit) to 10.2.0.4 (64-bit). We used RMAN CONVERT / transportable tablespaces and the main migration piece took about 9 hours. The tablespaces need to be in read-only mode during the migration, but since we could afford the downtime, that method worked for us. It was fairly easy to setup, but we practiced the migration a few times before implementation, so it went smoothly.

We ran into a nasty bug "Bug 7251049 - Corruption in bitmap index introduced when using transportable tablespaces [ID 7251049.8]" - with the work-around being to drop and re-create the bitmap indexes - so factor that in if using bitmap indexes.

Hope this helps
Paul