Re: Connection Issue on local database

From: Alfonso León <aleon68_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 23:16:15 -0500

Hi Bill:

I hope you have solved your problem. Did you pinpoint the origin of your problem?

I got something like that, just a little different.

OS, Red Hat Linux 4Upd 5
Oracle 10.2.0.2

I'm trying to use Brightstor to backup 2 databases on the same machine, but BS has been able to connect to one of the db.

I've been doing some testing and I can connect from oracle user to both of them using listener an bequeath connection. So after some time I realized Brighstor is using the root user to connect to the db.

Strange thing is root can connect to the first one without inconvenience but to the second one gives us the ora-12547 error only using bequeath conn. and only using the ORACLE_SID set to that DB when I set the ORACLE_SID to the first DB or anything else it gave me the normal behavior.

I'm guessing the second DB should have a file permission that is not allow me to connect to that db.

Anybody can give me an idea what file should I be checking, already check controlfiles, redologs, datafiles, spfiles, pwfiles, tnsnames.

Anybody using Brighstor with Oracle in Linux, The agent should be installed with root or Oracle?

Thanks in advance

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 4:58 PM, Bill Zakrzewski <bill_at_intactus.com> wrote:

> This is probably something I am overlooking, but I am unable to connect to
> a local database. Here are the details.....
>
> Oracle 10.2.0.4.0
> RH Linux 5.2
>
> If I try to connect using the listener it connects, but with just the
> ORACLE_SID set it returns an error.
>
> [bzakrzewski_at_oracle ~]$ echo $ORACLE_SID
> dev1
> [bzakrzewski_at_oracle ~]$ sqlplus system
>
> SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.4.0 - Production on Thu Oct 22 17:53:04 2009
>
> Copyright (c) 1982, 2007, Oracle. All Rights Reserved.
>
> Enter password:
>
> ERROR:
> ORA-12547: TNS:lost contact
>

> Enter user-name:
>
> ERROR:
> ORA-12547: TNS:lost contact
>

> Enter user-name:
>
> ERROR:
> ORA-12547: TNS:lost contact
>

> SP2-0157: unable to CONNECT to ORACLE after 3 attempts, exiting SQL*Plus
> [bzakrzewski_at_oracle ~]$ sqlplus system_at_dev1
>
> SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.4.0 - Production on Thu Oct 22 17:53:26 2009
>
> Copyright (c) 1982, 2007, Oracle. All Rights Reserved.
>
> Enter password:
>
> Connected to:
> Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.4.0 - 64bit
> Production
> With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing
> options
>

> Session altered.
>
> dev1-SYSTEM >
>
> -Bill