Re: Reviewing 10g install notes

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 09:34:54 -0400

I can't think of any good reason to install dbconsole and disable it. Setting the system ts to dictionary managed allows for the possibility of dictionary managed user tablespaces in the future or if an app vendor requires it so I can see an argument for that, though I wouldn't make it myself.

Niall Litchfield

On Apr 21, 2010 9:25 AM, "Jay Hostetter" <hostetter.jay_at_gmail.com> wrote:

I'm reviewing the Oracle 10g installation instructions that one of our clients sends out to their customers. The instructions specifically tell the customer to change the SYSTEM tablespace to dictionary managed, and provide all the good old fashioned parameters (initial, next, pct_increase, etc.). Furthermore, they leave the "configure the database with enterprise manager" checked along with the database control option, but then they turn around and disable those services.

My recommendations are going to be: 1) leave the default system tablespace settings. There is no reason to change them. 2) If you're not using EM or Database control, don't install it in the database. You're just wasting resources.

I just wanted a sanity check this morning. I think they might be sticking to some old guidelines and perhaps do not understand Enterprise Manager. But maybe there is a good reason to do this that isn't occurring to me.

Thank you,
Jay