RE: Anyone Running Oracle on VMWare?

From: D'Hooge Freek <Freek.DHooge_at_uptime.be>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 14:34:50 +0200

Yep

If you have a vmware cluster, then the 3 guests could reside on any of the nodes. In particular with vmotion and HA.

regards,

Freek D'Hooge
Uptime
Oracle Database Administrator
email: freek.dhooge_at_uptime.be
tel +32(0)3 451 23 82
http://www.uptime.be
disclaimer: www.uptime.be/disclaimer

From: Allen, Brandon [Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com] Sent: 16 April 2010 18:08
To: D'Hooge Freek; Taylor, Chris David; 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org' Subject: RE: Anyone Running Oracle on VMWare?

Are you saying that if you had a cluster of 5 physical hosts in a cluster and you were running 3 virtual guest hosts that were running Oracle instances, then you'd have to license the physical hardware for 3 physical hosts even if you're running all three Oracle guest hosts on a single physical box? That's ridiculous, but again, I wouldn't be surprised to hear it from Oracle Sales. Of course, just because it comes from Oracle Sales doesn't make it true - I've received conflicting answers from different Oracle Sales reps and had to correct them myself on more than one occasion.

The documentation from Oracle says that you have to license all the processors for the hosts on which you are running Oracle, regardless of the number of virtuals or any "soft partitioning". That's what the documentation says so that's what I'm going with until I see otherwise in official Oracle documentation.

Thanks,
Brandon