Re: SGA & shared pool size

From: Greg Rahn <greg_at_structureddata.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 20:30:36 -0700

I have to say that seeing the SGA be larger than the PGA on a DW is very odd to me. I would assume (maybe incorrectly, but hope not) most Oracle DWs use PX and given PX uses direct path reads from disk (unless you are using 11.2 in-memory PX), there are little gains from such large buffer caches. Also, DW workloads generally consist of "one and done" queries so SQL reuse is minimal so large shared pools really dont add much value either. On the Oracle Database Machine nodes, which have 72GB of RAM, the starting point for memory allocation I use is 8GB SGA, 50GB PGA.

So I have to ask the question: What are the requirements for these DWs that have such large SGAs and what performance data was used to choose these sizes?

--
Regards,
Greg Rahn