RE: Anyone Running Oracle on VMWare?

From: Stephens, Chris <Chris.Stephens_at_adm.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 10:55:04 -0500

I’m curious how licensing works with VMotion. Do you have to license oracle for the all hosts in the environment, including the host(s) that aren’t being used until failover?

When I asked our Oracle rep about this his response was that we absolutely had to.

He has been wrong on occasion.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Allen, Brandon Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 5:02 PM To: William Muriithi; 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org' Subject: RE: Anyone Running Oracle on VMWare?

We implemented on a VMWare cluster mainly for high availability and flexibility. We can quickly move a virtual DB host from one physical to another without any downtime or loss of active sessions via VMotion. We have the flexibility to run other virtuals on the same host as the DB if we want/need to in the future, but for now, we have plenty of hardware to accommodate everything so we give the DB servers their own machines and consolidate our Windows and App servers on other machines.

From: William Muriithi [mailto:william.muriithi_at_epicadvertising.com]

Curious, what was the incentive of using vmware considering your are running just one instance?

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by email reply.