Re: Anyone Running Oracle on VMWare?

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 10:54:14 -0700

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 8:03 AM, Scott Canaan <srcdco_at_rit.edu> wrote:

> The official word from Oracle is that unless we use their virtual
> environment, then we will not be in a supported environment.

That is not quite correct.

Please see MOS *249212.1 to determine if you can live with their VMWare support policy.*
*
*

> My question is: Is anyone else running Oracle in the VMWare virtual
> environment? If so, have you run into any issues and how much did Oracle
> support help you?
>
> The issues I have encountered running Oracle on VMWare have mostly been
oracle related.
Those that were vmware related were obviously vmware problems. eg. clock not keeping time on linux.

The databases I use in our lab for testing are all VMWare on linux and windows.
We even have an entire eBusiness suite system running on a small server under VMWare.
The only issue there has been keeping the clock synced. That's a VMWare tools issue.

Jared Still
Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist Oracle Blog: http://jkstill.blogspot.com Home Page: http://jaredstill.com