RE: Anyone Running Oracle on VMWare?

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 11:14:55 -0400

We have about 600-700 Oracle VMs running on VMware ESX with RHEL 4/5, SLES, and Windows. They're not really production, since we're a software development shop, but we use them pretty regularly. We have run into a variety of issues running RAC on VMware, most of which we've been able to work around, but single instance works fine. As far as Oracle support, they only give us trouble support-wise with the RAC scenarios, and even then, they have usually given us a couple of days of working the SR before saying, "Recreate on physical and then we'll talk to you".

All in all, a generally positive experience.

Matt

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Scott Canaan Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 11:04 AM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Anyone Running Oracle on VMWare?

   We currently run Oracle on Sun (now Oracle) Solaris servers in a clustered environment. We've been told that we will be moving to a virtual environment. There already is a VMWare cluster in the data center and we've been told that we will most likely be moving in that direction. The official word from Oracle is that unless we use their virtual environment, then we will not be in a supported environment.

    My question is: Is anyone else running Oracle in the VMWare virtual environment? If so, have you run into any issues and how much did Oracle support help you?

We are running Oracle 10g and 11g.

Scott Canaan '88 (Scott.Canaan_at_rit.edu)

(585) 475-7886 - work (585) 339-8659 - cell

"Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it." - Tom Lehrer.