Re: Differential incremental backups

From: Robert Freeman <>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 19:38:16 -0700 (PDT)

May well have been in 10g.... sometimes I get new features and when they are released mixed up in my head... :)

 Robert G. Freeman
Master Principal Consultant, Oracle Corporation Oracle ACE
Oracle Database 11g RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) - ON ITS WAY SOON! OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Study Guide (Sybex) Oracle Database 11g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Other various titles

From: Don Seiler <>
Cc:;; "" <> Sent: Mon, March 22, 2010 7:00:18 PM
Subject: Re: Differential incremental backups

I used incrementally updated backups in 10gR2 (or at least thought that's what I was doing). A quick peek at the docs confirmed that they did exist then:

Is there something distinctly new about them in 11g? Or are we not talking about the same thing?

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 11:44 AM, Robert Freeman <> wrote:
> Ok...
> Incrementally updated backups are a new 11g feature that allow you to merge
> the level 1 backup into the level 0 base backup. Thus, at any time you only
> need 1 base and 1 incremental backup at any time. It differs from the
> incremental backups in that the base backup is updated, so the level 1
> backup will not be as large or take as long as it otherwise would.

Don Seiler