Re: Zero-cost on-the-fly compression for Data Pump expdp

From: Scott Sibert <ssibert_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 10:36:39 -0500

We upgraded to 11.2 from 9.2 (exp from 9.2 and imp into 11.2) and all our our scripts doing exports were, of course, using exp. In testing our existing scripts, we had issues with exp not exporting zero-extent tables from our 11.2 databases. We'd planned to go to expdp so we went ahead and changed the scripts to use expdp rather than seeing if there was something we could do to get the zero-extent tables.

expdp has a compression option that compresses exports quite well. Options are all, data_only, metadata_only and none. Works with parallel, so you can parallel=5 compression=all and each of those .dmp files will be compressed as they're created.

--Scott