Re: Differential incremental backups - Do you really use them?

From: Pani Babu <panibabu.mail_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 08:13:15 -0400

Hi Robert:

Thanks for your insight. From your and other members' posts, looks like exceptionally large databases or backup and other infrastructure restrictions may leave one with no other choice than to use incremental backups. So for I have been lucky (or may be unlucky) enough not to work with very exceptional large databases. The largest database we have are only a few Terra Bytes. Because of our current backup infrastructure (split-mirror backups, almost unlimited number of tape drives due to VTLs,....) we have not seen constraints on our backup windows. So doing a daily full backup has not been an issue for us. I do understand this may not be the case with everyone. Thanks for everyone's inputs.

Pani

Imagine a very large database (say > 1PB).... imagine that the data in it