RE: exadata? is anyone using it?

From: kathy duret <katpopins21_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 07:09:02 -0700 (PDT)

Just us dbas for now... system people want nothing to do with it.

  • On Fri, 3/19/10, John Hallas <John.Hallas_at_morrisonsplc.co.uk> wrote:

From: John Hallas <John.Hallas_at_morrisonsplc.co.uk> Subject: RE: exadata? is anyone using it? To: "katpopins21_at_yahoo.com" <katpopins21_at_yahoo.com>, "oracle-l_at_freelists.org" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Date: Friday, March 19, 2010, 6:43 AM

Who supports Exadata at your site Kathy? Normally I assume that a Unix team will look after the O/S and the DBA team will look after the databases (and now will probably look after ASM once the physical disks have been made available)

With Exadata I think Oracle do the initial setup and configuration but is your support model similar to above

John

www.jhdba.wordpress.com

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of kathy duret Sent: 17 March 2010 15:19
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: exadata? is anyone using it?

We are.  We have a 2 full and one half rac.

11.1.0.7 Rac with Dataguard we have 2 V1 HP versions one test V2 on Solaris

Solaris has had less hardware issues than the HP version.

Make sure your data center can handle the heat.

The equipment puts out alot of heat and you need to make sure you can handle it.

We had issues where the air wasn't circulating around the top of the server and it was over heating.

If you have more than one server, make sure they are spaced apart due to heat and we had an issue were a part had to be replaced and it was diffiicult because the other box was so close to it.

Queries run lightening fast and do get offloaded to the storage.. Really cool

But with any new technology.. some of the queries will run slower because the way the statistics, parameters have changed and therefore execution paths might be changed for the better or worse.

There is alot to learn hardware, network, cell storage, it is very overwhelming but doable.

Yes and of course the bugs/issues but now at the storage, network, cell and database layers you are going to be dealing with them.

It is a very exciting piece of technology but very complex as well.

For us it made sense since we are using it for our datawarehouse and it allowed us to move our clients form a variety of databases all over the place into one central location and now they all are RAC and have Dataguard.  We run our backups off our standby databases.

Queries that ran hours, now take minutes and we have lots of cpu and power for growth should we add new customers and as our customers continue to grow.

But every rose has it's thorns - there are bugs for sure but that is any technology.

Like I said before as the dba ... you get them now at every level.

Be prepared for it by testing, testing and more testing and training and trying out before you go live.

If anyone else is using it ... please let me know by emailing me off the list so we can share tips and tricks.

Happy St. Patty's Day ..... everyone is Irish today!

From: TESTAJ3_at_nationwide.com <TESTAJ3_at_nationwide.com> Subject: exadata? is anyone using it?
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Date: Wednesday, March 17, 2010, 8:22 AM

Looking for your opinion, advice, good/bad/otherwise.

thanks, joe

Joe Testa, Oracle Certified Professional Senior Engineering & Administration Lead (Work) 614-677-1668
(Cell) 614-312-6715

Wm Morrison Supermarkets Plc is registered in England with number 358949. The registered office of the company is situated at Gain Lane, Bradford, West Yorkshire BD3 7DL. This email and any attachments are intended for the addressee(s) only and may be confidential.

If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender by replying to the email that you have received in error and then destroy the email. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy or rely on the email or its attachments in any way.

This email does not constitute a contract in writing for the purposes of the Law of Property (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1989.

Our Standard Terms and Conditions of Purchase, as may be amended from time to time, apply to any contract that we enter into. The current version of our Standard Terms and Conditions of Purchase is available at: http://www.morrisons.co.uk/gscop

Although we have taken steps to ensure the email and its attachments are virus-free, we cannot guarantee this or accept any responsibility, and it is the responsibility of recipients to carry out their own virus checks.